Week 13 Story: The Prince and His Loyal Dog

 Long ago, there was a prince named Llewelyn whose most prized possessions were his newborn child and his loyal greyhound, Gellert, who went hunting with him. One day, Prince Lleyweln wanted to hunt but couldn't find Gellert. He whistled and called for the dog in vain, finally giving up after several minutes. Upset but resigned, Prince Lleyweln went off to hunt without his loyal dog, joined only by a few of his trusted countrymen. But Prince Lleywln was worried; never had Gellert failed to appear after his summons. He would search the entire castle the hound as soon as he returned. 


Boy with a Greyhound from the H. O. Havemeyer Collection (source: Wikimedia).

When the Prince arrived home, laden with kills from his hunt, Gellert bounded up to him excitedly. Gellert seemed to be calling his master, begging him to follow. But Prince Lleywln could only register shock when he was reunited with his dog, for Gellert was covered in blood, and the substance was dripping from his mouth. 

Panicked, Prince Lleywln thought immediately of his newborn child, left all alone in its cradle. "Had Gellert lost control and destroyed the infant?" the prince thought to himself, "No! He couldn't have, he wouldn't! Not my loyal dog!" 

Rushing to his baby's room, with Gellert following close behind, Prince Lleywln discovered more and more blood with each step he took. Truly terrified now, the prince burst into the nursery and was met with a horrible sight: blood everywhere and no child to be found! At this moment, Gellert bounded up to the prince, still acting excited. Prince Lleywln wanted to hurt Gellert for destroying his child, but something stopped him. This whole time, Gellert had seemed excited, not vicious. 

Prince Lleywln decided to let the dog lead him up to the cradle, and he was elated and terrified by what he found, for behind the child's bed sat two things: 1) his baby, covered in blood but alive and well, and 2) the destroyed carcass of a fearsome wolf. In that second, the prince realized that the blood he'd seen on Gellert was not that of his child's but of the wolf! Gellert had saved the baby from certain death!

The kingdom celebrated for weeks when they heard this news. Statues were erected in Gellert's honor, and the day he saved the prince's baby was glorified forevermore!

Author's Note: Much of my story is similar to the original with one big exception. At the end of the original, the prince does not immediately find his baby, so he still thinks that Gellert killed him; he stabs and kills Gellert in response. I hated that, so I made the prince find both the wolf and the child much sooner to avoid Gellert's death. 

Bibliography: "Beth Gellert" from Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

Comments

  1. Hi Katie! I really enjoyed this story! A note right off the bat: your link in the bibliography doesn't work, so I would recommend double checking that. As for the story, I thought you did a great job with the re-telling. I liked your paragraph structure and thought fit the story well. I also liked that you changed the ending to make it happier! I would have been devastated if Gellert had been killed, so I appreciate the change. Other than the link, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    I thought this story was really well done! I was actually afraid for the baby's safety, and then for the dog's safety! This reminds me of Lady and the Tramp when the dogs save the baby from the rat in the nursery! Very scary! Anyway, I thought you told this very well and it was really suspenseful but still easy to follow. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie! I was so nervous while reading through your story. I was worried for the child. I was worried for Prince Llewelyn. I was worried for Gellert. As I continued reading, I felt myself becoming more and more anxious, fearing that the child would be found, but only after Prince Llewelyn made a mistake and punished Gellert for an act that he did not commit. Thankfully, your story did not turn out this way and had a hero's ending for Gellert. He's a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie!

    I also read this story and I am so glad that you decided to change the ending! It made me so sad that Gellert was murdered for doing a good job. It was sad not only for Gellert, but for the king as well who had to suffer with that guilt. I much prefer this ending to the story than the original. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts