Topic Brainstorm

Topic One: Folktales of the Rhineland 
This topic interests me primarily because my dad was born and raised in this region of Germany. It has a history rich in folklore, which I currently know little about but feel like I should learn, especially because I have family members that still live there! I think I'd like to tell children's stories, but maybe from my dad's or my point of view; this would allow me to incorporate my experiences into the stories as I retell them. 

Topic Two: Folktales of Yellowstone 
I would love to learn more about this topic after visiting Yellowstone National Park a few years ago! The region is still relatively untouched, so it would be easy to imagine myths in their true setting as I read them. I don't yet know of any folktales, but I think it'd be really cool to see if there are any origin stories about the natural phenomena of Yellowstone, like the mountains or the geysers. I think it would be interesting to retell stories by incorporating animals as main characters because the area is so rich in wildlife! 

Topic Three: Myths of the Norsemen
I've always been interested in learning more about the Viking age because I've seen plenty of movies about the people, but they were usually Hollywood adaptations and didn't teach me enough about their beliefs or legends. It would be interesting to discover how they accounted for the world around them and what their spiritual beliefs were. If they did hold divine beliefs, I think it would be fun to retell stories from the spirits' points of view. 

Topic Four: Classical Mythology
My parents always read Greek mythology to me when I was younger, and I've retained a lot of the stories, but I only really know the classics like how Hercules stole a golden apple and Prometheus gave fire to humans. In other words, I recognize the stories that made heroes famous, but I don't know any other stories about these same heroes. I'd like to expand on this knowledge a bit so I can learn more than just the basics. I think it would be fun to retell these lesser-known stories from a bystander's point of view, rather than from the heroes'. 


Bertel Thorvaldsen's Dance of the Muses on Mount Helicon, 1807 from the Alte Nationalgalerie (source: Wikimedia).

Comments

Popular Posts