Growth Mindset

Caral Dweck is a name I've heard before, as a previous professor began class with one of her videos. I think her approach to learning is an adaptive take on the general perception of achievement today. While I believe it would be useful if implemented at a young age, I think it would be hard to change the mindset of large groups of students (like an entire high school) who have relied on a fixed mindset. I believe I was part of this second group in high school; I rooted my self-worth in grades and classic achievement. Now, however, I think I have more of a growth mindset. College taught me that failure is often part of success, and that I can still get to where I want to be without a perfect academic record. It has made me love myself more, despite the mistakes I've made because I now view these events as lessons that I can learn from. 



My most relatable picture about the growth mindset (source: Pinterest).


In other aspects of life, I have always had more of a growth mindset. With sports and cooking, I knew I could try again, or that outcomes didn't matter as much because I wasn't trying to pursue either as a career. This helped make these things more fun, but I don't know if I would have the work ethic I do now in academic areas without having previously relied on a fixed mindset. 

I'm doing my honors research this semester with a professor that I really love, so I'm excited about that and about the fact that the class is more organic in structure than what I'm used to. I get to choose my own topic and get one-on-one guidance from my professor, which I believe will help me develop my argument and thought process. My biggest goal this semester is simply to enjoy life more by doing the things I love with the people I love most.

Comments

Popular Posts